Thursday 11 April 2013

P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, SYDNEY!


Opera House & Harbour Bridge
Home in three weeks now! Crazy eh?

Christine (France), Selina (Germany), me (UK). We like to joke about what people back in 1914 would have thought of this friendship...
I said goodbye to Selina the sea cucumber just before I went to Sydney, which was sad! She plans on heading home to Berlin a little earlier than planned so she’s there when me and Joe pass through on our interrail trip in June though, so it won’t be long until I see her! We spent our last day together taking a TON of photos on the beach with Christine, and then went to the cinema to see The Host. She was worried she might not be able to follow all the English, but I only had to explain a couple of things – ‘interrogate’ and ‘pity’ are two words she didn’t know.
I went on a road trip the day before flying – we drove for over six hours to the outback which was crazy – seeing these ‘towns’ in the middle of nowhere with just two houses and a church. Saw a road train, and stopped off at a salt lake, which is essentially just thick white salt where all the water has evaporated in the heat and lack of rain. They’re pretty beautiful.

Walking across a salt lake
My flight out to Sydney was delayed, and my one back was too – I’m thinking there’s something with me and flights! In the airport I left my travel folder in a shop, containing tickets, hostel info, and passport. I went back and thankfully it was still there! Going to excuse myself as it was 11pm, but I’m sure mum is regretting letting me come out here alone! (haven’t told her I did that yet, so sorry mum! Haha)

Sunset on the Opera House
I stayed in a hostel for the first three nights, and then went to stay with Eliza, my penpal (I talked about this in an earlier post, so read back!) The hostel was in Kings Cross, which is summed up in the guidebooks as being “only a ten-minute walk from the city, with its own train station and is always lively. In recent years, it has shakedn the worst of its renowned red-light and drug-abuse sleaze and is once again popular with backpackers.” It wasn’t that bad!

Me with Harbour Bridge
I headed straight out to the harbour to see the bridge and the Opera House. Seeing that sight with your own eyes is just… captivating. I spent so long just taking it in. I visited Customs House, which had a scale model of Sydney underneath a glass floor that you could walk across, the State Library, which was a really old-school kind of library, Hyde Park Convict Barracks Museum, which was a really old building with a fascinating history, and St Mary’s Cathedral. I also went around the NSW Parliament building by accident! I was looking for a post office and was told the nearest one was inside there, so I went through the security and posted my letters, and was then asked if I fancied seeing the upper house chamber! Of course I did! The security there was much less strict than in the UK – I was just left alone in the chamber to do what I wanted. I saw fireworks over the harbour, as well as my first koala in the entrance to a Wildlife Park! I walked across Harbour Bridge and then got a ferry back across the harbour. I went shopping in Darling Harbour (woops – going to struggle so much getting everything back home), and made new friends in the hostel. Eliza and I got on well, and her family are some of the sweetest people I’ve ever met. I spent Friday night at Hillsong Sydney’s youth group (about 500 youth!) where Eliza is a youth leader, and then the whole of Sunday at Hillsong Church. It was pretty awesome being at the ‘original’ Hillsong!

Blue Mountains
I spent a day exploring the Blue Mountains. This is such a beautiful area, where I saw waterfalls, the Three Sisters, and climbed up the Giant’s Staircase (over 900 steps!)

A full day hiking through the Blue Mountains
On my last day I’d wanted to go to Bondi Beach, but Sydney’s unpredictable weather decided to pour with rain, so instead I just stayed in the city. I actually spent the morning drinking coffee with Hugo and his girlfriend Honor – mine and Hugo’s families were really close when we were younger and then he moved away. We haven’t actually seen each other in about 5 years, but were in Sydney at the same time, so hey, why not? It was great catching up, if a little surreal!
When saying goodbye to Eliza’s family, her mum gave me some necklaces from the Philippines (where she’s from) so that I “remember them when I wear them”. Like I said, they’re the sweetest family. I had about an hours sleep, and then got up to leave the house at 3am! Sitting in a station in Sydney for an hour at 4 in the morning was an interesting experience…

Half Way!
So now I’m back in Bunbury! I got home to a letter from Joe (finally! :P), a postcard from Emma in Switzerland, a card from Harry in Rwanda (which he’d posted three months ago – the African postal system is unique…), a bracelet and card from Joe’s family, and an Easter parcel from mum. Unfortunately the parcel was full of chocolate, which had all melted. An hour in the freezer and it’s (nearly) as good as new though!

Easter parcel chocolate carnage

1 comment: