Thursday 25 April 2013

Last week in Australia

Baywatch.. or something.

I now have one week left in Australia. That’s right – ONE WEEK. What is this madness? I have had a brilliant time the past fortnight since being back from Sydney, and so here’s what I’ve been up to!

I’ve done a few swim tours, including a surprise one on my last official day volunteering at the DDC. It was the best swim tour I’ve been on, too! I swam alongside a male dolphin for about ten minutes straight – he was swimming synchronised with me, turning when I turned etc – it’s such an amazing experience swimming underwater with a dolphin that close. I also had a swim where I was surrounded by four adult dolphins which was cool too!

Selina & Me
The other awesome thing that happened – you remember I said goodbye to Selina, who was heading up North? Well, last week I was at the DDC, and I felt two hands on my shoulders. YES it was Selina back! I jumped on her and we had the most enormously squeezy hug – the other people there looked incredibly confused. She was back in Bunbury for a few more days, and so that was a brilliant surprise!

Feeding kangeroos
Selina, Christine, and I visited Big Swamp Wildlife Park, where you could feed and cuddle kangeroos and birds. The kangeroos are the most adorable things, and the birds land in your hair and try to eat everything.

Barrage of birds
The three of us also went on a little road trip with Ferne and Matthias to the Black Diamond Lakes. Spent the afternoon swimming and jumping off logs, then headed back to Christine’s house for tea, cards, and didgeridoo playing (Selina’s determination is admirable).

Skill, hey?
On Selina’s last night (her real last night, this time!) we had a bbq on Koombana beach – I introduced everyone to bbq’d bananas with chocolate in the middle, which was much loved!

Black Diamond Lakes
I spent Tuesday in Busselton with Mandy visiting the underwater observatory and eating far too much food. Yesterday I went to Kaitlin’s eighteenth birthday party where I painted a ceramic penguin, and had my last Macca’s (sob). Went on another swim tour today, and then swimming at Back Beach with Dylan – waves were pretty darn crazy! Tomorrow I’m going to Gnomesville with Ferne and the family, and I’m going kayaking with her sometime before I leave!

Guess who's in that Louie the Dolphin costume... yes, that's me.
It’s a strange feeling, leaving Australia and everything here behind. The May family have become my second family, and not seeing them every day will be so weird. The friends I’ve made here are from all over the world, so I suppose at least I have a good excuse to travel! I’m excited about everything that lies ahead of me. Seeing Joe, my family, and friends again, and then backpacking around Europe (official start date 19th May!). And then, after a summer of bbq’s and nights out, road trips and ice cream, camping and beaches (albeit slightly colder than those here!), I’ll be going off to University! So although one adventure is nearly over – debatable if it can ever be ‘over’, I’ve made friends for life here – there are many more adventures just waiting to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment