Sunday 3 March 2013

I've been here a month?!

(wrote this midweek)

Yep, that’s right, I have officially been in Australia for one whole month. Actually, more than a month, but I’ve been pretty busy these past couple of weeks so the update has had to wait until now. I’ll try to be brief!

Car washing

On Friday, Greg took me to the Speedway. It was pretty awesome! A car set on fire, and there were a few crashes – I was biting my nails the whole time. On Saturday night, I went out with the girls for Bronte’s birthday to a Chinese restaurant (yes, I survived!) Afterwards we went for a late night beach trip, and then onto Henry’s for coffee and smoothies. It was strange being in a group of all girls because most of my closest friends are guys. I’d forgotten how much drama there is with a big group of girls!


The girls

Sunday was the long-awaited ‘Mystery Tour’ for Greg’s birthday. It was also the day I saw my first Australian rain! It turned out that we were going on a Bushtucker Canoe tour! It was such an amazing day! We canoed all up the Margaret River – well, we tried. Our boat was not the most successful at the canoeing – in the boat race we got out and pushed as it turned out to be faster… We stopped along the river for a proper bushtucker lunch – I had wild fruits and then tried kangaroo (yum), emu (bland), and crocodile (too fishy in texture for me). The kangaroo went nicely with the sundried tomato bread and bush chutney! Next stop was a cave. Now, I’m pretty claustrophobic, and was reluctant to even go into the cave, but I did. Then, we were offered the chance to do a cave tunnel crawl. I really wanted to seize the opportunity, but was worried I’d panic in the middle of the tunnel. In the end, Bec just grabbed me and pulled me in behind her! I’m so glad I did it though! You had to crawl through gaps that were only just big enough to fit through, and there were parts where you had to pull yourself along on your elbows and belly. I was so proud of myself when I came out the other end! Went for a quick swim in the river to wash some of the mud off. After the canoe tour was done, we stopped off at the Margaret River Chocolate Factory. It’s a good thing I don’t live in Margaret River, because I would be at that place all the time. It was completely free, and you could just help yourself to as much chocolate as you wanted! I had so much that I couldn’t even eat bring myself to eat ice cream afterwards.

Canoe Crew
This was my first week at the Dolphin Discovery Centre, which I am loving! There’s an aquarium with a crazy octopus, seahorses and starfish the kids can touch, and a turtle that’s being rehabilitated. I fed the turtle the other day which was awesome :) The centre is right on the beach, and there’s a group of wild dolphins which swim in pretty much every morning. Big Nick practically never leaves. When a dolphin comes in, all the volunteers head to the beach and guide the public into the water to stand in a line at about thigh-deep level. The dolphins love people, and swim right in front of you, so close that you could touch them. It’s a pretty amazing experience – and I do it every day! Aside from the dolphins and other animals, the other volunteers there are brilliant. There’s loads of people around my age (although I think I’m the youngest!) and I’m making friends from all over the world! We had our first Sundowner on Friday after work, which is drinks and a bbq at the centre. I bought a 1.18 ltr bottle of Bud for $8 – bargain! Don’t worry, I didn’t drink it all myself, Julia (from Germany) shared it.
I spent a good half a day at the library on Thursday sorting out university-related things, and I still haven’t achieved much! It’s hard to think about all that while I’m in Oz, although I am missing education – I spent last night teaching Bec about sibilance and multiple co-ordination, haha. Yesterday, Mandy and I drove to Busselton and had lunch and went for a swim. When I came out of the sea, I had a weird itchy swelling on my back, with no clue as to how I’d got it. It could have been a jellyfish, but surely I would have felt it as it stung me?

The legend Big Nick
It’s just over a fortnight till I head to Perth for a week, and then I have just over a week at home before flying to Sydney for ten days! When I’m back from there, I only have three weeks left in Australia! The time here is going far too quickly for my liking!

Listening to the radio – feel proud to hear the ‘Poms’ Ed Sheeran and McFly played!

1 comment: